St. Marys Church of the Nazarene History
In December of 1941, Dave and Maude Doseck opened their home on Oil Street to start the Church of the Nazarene in St. Marys, Ohio. Our church was organized in 1942 by District Superintendent, Dr. W.E. Albea with seven charter members. October of 1942 found the new church moving to a new location, a rented house on the corner of South and Chestnut Streets.
By 1945, the church had moved again to a store building on South Front Street and it looked as though the church was going to close. However, by the summer of 1946, the church was stronger and had grown to about 57 members.
In June of 1950, Rev. and Mrs. Robert Ellis came to pastor the now well established church. The church had outgrown its storeroom church, and so in the spring of 1951, ground was broken for a first addition basement church on the corner of Indiana Avenue and Hickory Street. The church had 51 members at this time. The congregation moved into their building in November of 1951.
In the spring of 1952, construction began on the upper part of the church building and properties on the north and east sides of the church were purchased. January, 1953, brought the dedication of the upper portion of the church. The church had grown to 92 members during its construction.
Rev. and Mrs. O.V. Mewbourn became the pastor in December, 1958, with a current membership of 138. A new sanctuary was constructed during this time.
Rev. and Mrs. Virgil Applegate came as pastor for a short time in January, 1968 to June, 1969. Rev. and Mrs. J.O. McCaskell came in July, 1969, and pastored until Rev. McCaskell's sudden death in 1975.
God provided Rev. and Mrs. Ark Noel in February, 1976. During Rev. Noel's pastorate, a new addition, containing classrooms, a fellowship hall, and gymnasium was built.
In September, 1979, Rev. and Mrs. John Williamson came to pastor followed by Rev. and Mrs. Wayne Smith in August, 1981. Rev. Smith was followed by Rev. and Mrs. Everett Clay in August, 1987.
Rev. and Mrs. Keith Stuck came to pastor in January, 1994. Rev. Stuck grew up in the St. Marys Church of the Nazarene and pastored here until July, 2001.
In November, 2001, Rev. and Mrs. Timothy M. Smith came to pastor our church. We are pleased to have their family here with us at present.
As we look back from our beginnings until now, we offer praise and thanks to God. What joy we have felt as we have seen people give their lives to the Lord, and the influence the church has had in this community for righteousness. We are thankful for the presence of the Holy Spirit in our church. Also, we are happy for the lives of so many young people from our congregation who have been called of God to go into the Christian ministry. May the Lord continue to pour out His special blessings on each of them. But may He also continue to call those whom He will, so that the message of the Gospel may shine far beyond this local church to the lost around the world.